Thank you for your interest in the Varsity Men's Glee Club at the University of Illinois! The following information will help you understand how our organization works, and your audition for our organization.
The Varsity Men's Glee Club welcomes all male students at the University of Illinois regardless of age and major! In fact, a majority of our members are non-music majors. Don't be shy! Sign up for an audition!
Rehearsals and Time Commitment
We rehearse every Tuesday and Thursday evening while school is in session. We have two major concerts in our choral year: Our annual Dad's Day Concert and The Spring Concert, the former always performed in mid-November and the latter performed in late-April or early-May. Both concerts take place in the Foellinger Great Hall Auditorium in the Krannert Center for Performing Arts.
All of our performances and organization commitments will be given in our syllabus on the first day of rehearsal.
Singers are expected to be at every rehearsal and any performance during the year, unless they have a valid excuse outlined out in our syllabus. They will send any commitment issue to our secretary.
NON-MUSIC MAJOR AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
- Be prepared to sing "My Country ‘Tis of Thee" for your audition (or another short, one- to two-minute song of your choosing)
- Sight Reading
ADDITIONAL AUDITION INFORMATION FOR NON-MUSIC MAJORS
- Everyone should sign-up at https://uiucchoirs.setmore.com/
- Music majors should sign up as follows (if space allows) :
- Seniors & Grad Students - Monday, 8/27, 1-4 pm
- Juniors - Tuesday, 8/28, 10 am - 12:30 pm
- Sophomores & Freshmen - Wednesday, 8/29, 1-4 pm
- All major auditions will be in Dr. Megill's office in Krannert
- Tuesday, 8/28 or Wednesday, 8/29 - 5-8 pm
- Sopranos and Altos will be in Dr. Solya's office in MB
- Tenors and Basses will be in the TA office in Krannert
- Requirements and more info at https://music.illinois.edu/ensemble/audition-information-university-choirs
- Question? Email email@example.com
MUSIC MAJOR AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
- A one- to two-minute excerpt of a prepared solo; an aria or art song is acceptable (an accompanist will be provided––students must bring the piano score for the accompanist)
- In some cases, we will hear a singer vocalize or perform tonal memory exercises.